Best Smart Locks For 2019 / 2020
Today’s market offers a large variety of descent keyless entry systems, Each one meets different needs. In order to make the best decision for your home or business, first, let’s talk a little about keyless entry systems and the reasons we might choose them. Keyless entry systems are a replacement to our regular metal keys. Those systems offer their users a variety of security and convenience features that the regular keys can’t, such as : remote locking\unlocking of the door, logged entry – so you could see when the door was unlocked and by which device, hidden camera- so you can see who is approaching your front door at real time and much more.
How does keyless entry systems work?
Most systems will have a part that replaces our traditional pin tumbler that allows the key to turn in a regular cylinder, this part connects the lock cylinder to a little hidden motor that is controlled by an electrical impulse, which can be activated in a few ways: wireless remote control sensor, keypad, electronic card reader, biometric fingerprint and more.
Traditional vs. innovative
Both traditional and innovative lock systems are meant to keep us safe, and like any other thing in life they both have pros and cons and can answer different needs. Traditional metal keys or card keys can be lost, stolen and even break. A password keypad can be forgotten but on the other hand, they can be easily and quickly changed by the users comparing to physical locks that will have to be rekeyed or completely replaced.
Best Locks for 2020
We made a list of best the keyless entry systems based on the latest research, testing and customer reviews:
Kwikset is a well known lock company and it has a great reputation for a reason.
In this system they combined their reliable conventional lock and added an high-tech aspect. This system has the ability to be unlocked with both Bluetooth and radio frequency identification. This means that users are provided with the option of either unlocking the system from their smartphones or using a key fob that accompanies the system.
- The system can sync and connect to any mobile device, IOS or Android and will unlock the door as soon as it senses the device neer.
- The system is also the only one who can sync and connect with nest systems.
- The system allows physical key entry if you can’t use your device at that moment.
- An “lost phone” feature is available to prevent access to one of the devices.
- The system allows entering as many “guest keys” as you would like. granting family and friends entry permissions.
- Kwikset Kevo Smart Lock system is relatively expensive and costs almost 200$ with an additional features option for 99$.
- The quality of it LED lights should be improved.
The August Smart lock system replaces the cylinder deadbolts providing secure
access to your home through iOS or Android devices. In this keyless entry system the lock communicates through a secure BlueTooth connection. The August Smart Lock is installed on the inside part of the door so no one will know it’s there or will be able to tampar with it.
- Users can use the app to control the door remotely, grant access codes for guests, can get notification when batteries are low and more.
- This systems has great reviews on it’s function. from users and from wired, fortun and wall street journal.
- The system will automatically lock the door behind you and unlock it as it sense your device is approaching. no more worrying whether you forgot to lock the door!
- Each user has a different entry code. The system keeps a 24\7 hours log so you can always keep track on who entered and left your home or business.
- This systems leaves the deadbolt to remain on the outside of the door, allowing physical key entrance. And from the inside has a sleek, modern design which allows entry with IOS or Android operated devices, including Apple watch and more.
- The August Smart Key lock system is expensive. The regular version with no addition costs 199$.
- The system has a poor battery life since it runs on replaceable batteries.
Schlage is also a very known company in the locks industry and for a reason. This specific model holds both BHMA/ANSI Grade 1 certifications, which is the
highest lock security rating available on the American National Standards Institute grading system! So if security is your top priority this is the lock for you. We chose to add this one on our list but there are a lot of similar options from Schlage such as: Schlage Connect Touchscreen keyless Deadbolt, Schlage BE479 V CEN 619 Sense Smart Deadbolt and more.
- The system provides an alert mode in which an alarm will go off when the lock sense a suspected activity, tampering or forced entry.
- The system allows the user to Control every Z-wave compatible system in their home or business; thermostats, lightning and even their phone.
- The system also allows a physical key option. Just in case you forgot your code.
- It is a touchscreen lock using an entry pin to gain access. It has a high rate of convenience.
- High-end, unique design.
- This system can’t work without automation system.
- The Schlage Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt is relatively expensive, cost is 199$.
- The system only holds up to 30 entry codes while others can hold hundreds.
- While this lock can connect to home features, it doesn’t have an app for better control.
This lock is a match made in heaven for gadget geeks. With the z-wave system the user can connect and control, basically their entire home or office, through the
Yale Real Living Keyless Deadbolt. From smart TV’s, computers and phones to thermostatic systems and even coffee makers. So you could have the lights turn on every time the door is unlocked, You could have a cup of coffee waiting when you come home from work and much more, just let your imagination go.
- Yale Real Living Keyless Entry System Store up to 250 entry codes in for device, which is more than any other keyless entry system in the market.
- user can always unlock the door with a physical, traditional key, just in case you lost your phone or don’t have internet access.
- Keyless Entry System can connect with a wide variety of automation and security systems.
- User can choose “privacy mode” , Locking any other users outside for some privacy.
- System also offers a voice control option, so you could control your lock setting easily. More than that, it is even compatible with Amazon Alexa vocal orders.
- The Yale Real Living Keyless Entry System is considered expensive. Estimated at 300$.
- Users have to make sure the system is compatible with their home or business automation system. If not, it will still work but the user won’t be able to take advantage of many of the features and might not want to spend so much.
This system is a great, reliable option for users who are interested in completely replacing the traditional, physical key. There are not many keyless entry systems
in the market that completely let go of the traditional key and do it well. The Yale Security Assure Smart Lock has been rated number one option.
- Users are able to control the system remotely. Gain access to entry codes from far, view entry logs, get notification and alerts when there is any activity and more.
- System runs on batteries, which some users consider a disadvantage, but not in this case, the Yale Security Assure Smart Lock is equipped with a 9V terminal for emergency charging. So you would never lock out.
- System requires very easy installation.
- System has a great security feature which will lock itself automatically when the user left and forgot to lock the door.
- Some users might find the fact that this system does not relay on a physical key a disadvantage.
- System does run on batteries that will need to be exchanged every 6-12 months.
The SoHoMiLL YL 99 Keyless Electronic Keypad Lock will be the best affordable option in our list with the price of only 50$. This system provides high electronic security but does not offer connectivity to wifi, bluetooth or any other special features.
- Best advantage of this system is its price. This is the best affordable keyless entry system in the market.
- That System has a auto lock feature. making sure your home or business is secure even if you forgot to lock.
- Lock fits both right and left hinged doors.
- Lock also fits in a standard door knob installation hole.
- Lock’s Keypad is lit up by energy efficient led when pressed, so you can see it at night time.
- SoHoMiLL YL 99 Keyless Electronic Keypad Lock is not as high tech as the other systems on our list. It won’t connect to other automation systems.
- Design is not as sleek and modern as the other options on our list. The lock has a push button keypad design.
- In this keyless entry system the user can set up to 10 codes for unlocking the door. Most keyless entry system can hold hundreds of codes. But, a nice feature is that one of the granted codes is a master code. This master code has the control over all other entry codes and can be used to change them.
Samsung is a well known, trusted company. They manufacture a large variety of
electric items and some of them are really great smart locks. This specific model is great for tech and entertainment lovers. It will also be great for users who own other systems and products manufactured by Samsung. The Samsung SHS-P718 Digital Door Lock can connect to Samsung’s smart home solutions, including computers and phones, video cameras, security sensors, and even your appliances! And of course the system offers the user a great app where the user can check entry logs, get notified on any abnormal activity and much more.
- Samsung SHS-P718 Digital Door Lock has a very esthetics well liked design with an easy to use, high tech touchscreen.
- This systems offers the users 3 different ways to unlock the door ; a pin code, biometric fingerprint or a key fob.
- SHS-P718 Digital Door Lock design is ideal for doors with handles.
- Samsung SHS-P718 Digital Door Lock system is considered very expensive. It is estimated at 400$.
- This system is not suitable for doors with knobs.
In this case, the company that manufacture the Lockitron Bolt is relatively new to the industry. But still made quite a noise with their locks. We chose to put this one on our list because of it’s great convenience and design. This lock has also been rated to perform very well. The system has sensors that can sense the device approaching and unlocking the door for you if your hands are full or just in a hurry.
- System offers the user a key match option. So when you get your new lock it will match your exciting keys.
- User can control the lock through the Lockitron app. View entry log, get notification and more.
- Lockitron keyless entry system is relatively affordable. Estimated at 99$.
- System is equipped with a set of sensors that will sense your device and unlock the door as you approach.
- Lock have a really nice, modern design which can fit well and even add to many home decor styles.
- In this system the lock is installed on the inside part of the door. This feature makes it harder for any intruder to tamper with it.
- Lockitron company started mailing their first orders at early 2016. So as we said the company is pretty new to the business and doesn’t have much reputation yet.
- Comparing to other options on our list, this keyless entry system is relatively simple.
The Ultraloq UL3 Smart Lock system would be a great choice for security purposes.It offers the users complete control through an app and it is the only system in the market with a lock offering the user 5 different entry options.This lock has been tested highly durable and will be a great choice for our humid area as it is weatherproof.
- Like we mentioned, this system offers entry options: fingerprint, access code, smartphone, physical key and a knock to open feature.
- This system can hold up to 95 codes.
- System requires very easy installation.
- Lock is waterproof and is a great choice for humid areas.
- Lock is operated through an app where you can view timed entry logs, get notifications and more.
- System also offers the user a Bluetooth connectivity option in case you have no internet connection.
- Ultraloq UL3 Smart Lock system is operated on batteries and will have to be replaced. The company guarantees one full year battery life.
- System doesn’t connect with other automation systems like other options on our list.
- Lock doesn’t have an alarm system in case of foul play.
To sum it all up, the lock industry is definitely going in the high tech direction. Smart locks can be a great, secure addition to your home or business. We hope we gave you some good information in order to choose the right smart lock for your needs, whether they are better controlled security, a conveniency mean or even just the little kid inside us that loves all that new high tech gadgets! For any more questions or if you need help with smart lock installation call us at Naples Locksmith Lion 24/7 at 239-849-4979.