It happens at the worst time and place. We either lock our keys in the car or lose them right in the middle of a busy day. The situation becomes critical if we have locked a child or a pet in the car with our keys and it’s a very hot or very cold, potentially becoming a life-threatening situation. This is the time to act calmly and assess the situation very carefully. Act quickly and in an effective manner.
- If you have insurance that provides roadside assistance or AAA, call them at once. Your insurance company may be to connect you with an emergency locksmith they work with.
- Call a 24/7 emergency locksmith company that specializes in car lockouts.
- If someone has a spare key to your car, call them. Sometimes they can get to you rather quickly.
- If you are unable to reach immediate help and you have a locked child or pet in the car, call 911 for assistance and monitor the situation.
- If the situation is life threatening, consider breaking a window.
What should you tell the Locksmith when calling about a car lockout?
- First mention if there is a life-threatening situation and make them aware of how long the child or pet has been locked in the car.
- Mention the year, make, model and color of the car and where its exactly parked.
- Mention if the keys are lost or inside the car. If the keys are inside, mention the location of the keys (trunk, front seat, etc.)
- Ask for an ETA and a quote, this may prevent unnecessary misunderstandings.
How much does it cost to unlock a car?
Well, that depends on the situation. Many locksmith companies offer free services for life-threatening situations such as a child or pet lock out, however, your overall cost depends on the year, make and model of your vehicle. Your final cost will also be determined by the service provided if it’s just unlocking the car or if keys or FOBs must be made.
Another important fact to consider is what time of the day, day of the week and if it’s a Holiday, in such cases the prices may be higher than the regular price of services during regular working hours. Expect to pay a minimum of $150 average for a car lock out, however, prices may increase for certain European models which are difficult to unlock, and other factors explained. This price may also vary if a key is made, or a FOB is necessary.
Keep in mind that your safety is number one, and a typical professional locksmith will provide you the best solution to this emergency, efficiently and no damage to your vehicle. A typical locksmith technician will arrive at your location within 30 minutes, however, as previously stated, during life-threatening situations this time can be as little as 10-15 minutes.